Monday, May 09, 2016

Seirei no Moribito dorama

I had just watched this anime last year and was pretty surprised to see a fantasy dorama instead of your usual taiga dorama with 500 characters that require you to know who's in what clan and where they are on the map. I never got around to writing the review for the anime but what I remember is was the beautiful art, iconic character of Balsa, lots of world building stuff, a story about raising a boy who would be a good king and a ho-hum ending.

First off, Ayase Haruka is the wrong casting decision for Balsa, at least compared to the anime. She tries with the voice but physically she is not imposing. You know who would have been my choice? Ando Sakura. (100 Yen Love) She may be shorter than Ayase Haruka but she can look like someone who's been through hell and survive. I can't think of any tall actress in Japan who's not skinny as a twig. Not saying Haruka is random johnny who can't act bad but she just doesn't project tough. She didn't make me hate her acting, so I may have complained too much.

I rather enjoyed how similar it was to the anime despite the limited budget. My favourite thing about the dorama is that it continues past the anime's story and there's going to be a season two! The anime finished with a meh happy ending but it felt like the start of something so the cliffhanger at the end of the dorama got me really excited! (Its based on a long running series of books after all. And speaking of long running books, if only someone made season 2 of Guin Saga.)

Seirei no Moribito is a watchable fantasy jdorama that does what it can with its limited budget and I just want to see what happens next!

No comments: