Sunday, January 24, 2016

Otona Joshi Eps 1-4

My number one pet hate with Otona Joshi is how most scenes with Shinohara Ryoko are shot like a shampoo commercial. I know this show is not not aiming for realism but goddamn its so distracting. Look at Shinahara Ryoko posing and flipping her hair as she buys groceries. I'm guessing her shampoo sponsor paid for half the budget or something.

The best thing going for Otona Joshi is Eguchi Yosuke as the writer for a lot of successful trendy doramas back in the day. I like the use of him explaining all the romance dorama rules and cliches however it doesn't feel like Otona Joshi is going any further with the concept.

Another thing that got on my nerves was how they didn't even issue Eguchi Yosuke a guest pass. Shinohara Ryoko walks with him out of the building anyway so I don't see the not issuing a guest pass being a necessary evil. Maybe the company has a no guest pass policy.

The other characters haven't proven to be interesting. It feels run of the mill middle age women stories for me.

Despite the presense of Tanihara Shosuke, his character feels very underwritten.

Good to see Hirayama Aya again. Can't remember the last time I saw her. Haruka 17 was so long ago. I always thought she could have made it big but I'm happy she's still around.

Despite it being written by one of my favourite writers Ozaki Masaya, Otona Joshi doesn't feel very ambitious. The concept is so good because he can use to to make fun of/ deconstruct all those famous jdorama cliches but the show is called Otona Joshi and not ex-trendy dorama writer. Meh.

2 comments:

Sonna~ said...

I agree, I thought this was very blah, even though it is by a great writer and has Eguchi-san. There were some parts that were good, but it kind of felt like he was adding things for the sake of adding things. And you know I love an obasan-drama.

I loved Haruka 17. I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Watching anything this season? I'm watching Tomoya Nagase with his usual overacting thing. I'm short on time, and I'm going to Japan next week anyway, so I'll probably wait a few weeks to really get into something.

Akiramike said...

I haven't watched anything yet from this season but I don't think I can stand Tomoya Nagase's overacting much more. Enjoy your Japan trip!