Monday, April 28, 2014

Coffee-ya no Hitobito eps 1-3


Coffee-ya no hitobito is one of those small shopping street human stories aka Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi or Shinzanmono. Takahashi Katsunori plays the Coffee-ya-san who went into prison for killing someone and Kimura Tae is the wife of the deceased. With their main story in the background, every episode we have a story about one of the residents of the shopping street.


WHAT I LIKED

+ Can't go wrong with Takahashi Katsunori and Kimura Tae.
+ Kurashina Kana!!! She's playing a woman who's motto is 'time is money'.


+ Coffee-ya-san isn't the meddling defender of justice who preaches moral lessons at the end of the episode. Sometimes he is involved more but the dorama never feels like its talking down to the viewer.
+ The problems do get solved by the people involved themselves.
+ Absence of narration for some scenes doing a running commentary to the viewers, for eg end of ep 3.


+ I had great fun watching and 3 episodes flew by so fast.
+ Relaxed feeling to the dorama but the pacing is constant.
+ Dan Mitsu is in this show but she doesn't have to act.


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

- Kimura Tae's husband was basically a debt collector and Coffee-ya killed him when saving a widow from getting raped. Waaaaaaay to easy. I know shades of grey don't exist in human life doramas but.


SUMMARY

Another one of those shows where I loved it but can't really call it must watch, yet. Sort of on par with Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi for me. Coffee-ya no Hitobito is a feel good dorama that doesn't make me feel dumb. Very watchable.

3 comments:

Shane said...

I wasn't too excited for this one before, but now I think I'll give it a watch. I LOVED Mahoro so this should be my cup of coffee *cough*

ara said...

Watching this, too.
It is indeed a very enjoyable drama and rather easy to understand for language learners. Not too much moralising there yet, just hoping they'll keep it at that.

Akiramike said...

I agree. I think anyone with basic Japanese can understand this show easily.